Support for Mission Arlington® grows through the Christmas season when you do your shopping with Amazon Smile instead of Amazon. “Smile.amazon.com” is owned by and a parallel site to amazon.com, but when you use “smile,” Amazon donates a percentage of your eligible purchases to us.
How you make this happen is easy enough. Click on the picture above, or this LINK to get to the right spot. Choose Mission Metroplex, Inc. for your charity, and then do your shopping just like you would on the normal Amazon site. The difference is that you will be contributing to the ministry here at the same time you are purchasing gifts for the season.
Oh, just think how special it will be to find the gifts you want for your family & friends, while simultaneously helping this ministry here. Your gifts through Amazon Smile will provide encouragement and practical support to families in need throughout our community. Year-to-date Amazon has sent $1,800 as the byproduct of your gifts to others.
Purchase through Amazon smile provide for Arlington’s children. Wow! What a blessing. We are so grateful for your constant, sacrificial support. Thank you for all the ways you support our work year-round.
The Christmas Store is special place where parents choose the Christmas gifts they want for their children. Childcare is provided, and the Christmas gifts are wrapped. More than 30 thousand children received Christmas gifts last year. The store is decorated beautifully. There is a special spirit about this space which
- Dates: December 9th – 22nd (not Sundays);
- Times 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
When you want to help
- Christmas Gifts: Christmas gifts for children of all ages are still needed. These gifts should be unwrapped, and new, or “nearly new.” If you want to purchase gifts for the store, you can look through the list of commonly purchased toys to get a sense of what we need.
- Volunteers are still needed to staff the store. If you would like to volunteer, just come on down to serve. You don’t need an appointment. If you are coming with a group of people, give us a call (817-277-6620), and we’ll get you set up.
We are grateful for you!
We can do this, because we are surrounded by a generous & faithful community who care for children. We are so blessed to walk this journey with you.
The Christmas Season Arrives at Mission Arlington®
Though the Christmas weather isn’t quite in the air yet, the Christmas spirit sure is, especially here at Mission Arlington®. People are bringing in Christmas toys every day, and our free Christmas store is coming alive.
Volunteers have been working all year long to freshen up the store with new paint and getting new gifts ready to go out to families. The activity has increased significantly since Thanksgiving day. Teams of people are collecting toys through their families, their civic organizations, companies, and more, then bringing the gifts to Mission Arlington®, so that children will have something under the tree on Christmas day.
Here are a few details about the store, and how you can help.
Christmas Store Dates & Times
- Dates: December 9th – December 22nd;
- Times: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. every day;
- Closed: the store isn’t open on Sundays
Christmas Gifts & Volunteers
- Gifts you can Provide: You can bring new and/or nearly new toys and Christmas gifts to the main Mission offices downtown anytime between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. any day of the week. If you need a few ideas about what to give, check out this Christmas toys list to find your inspiration.
- Coming to Help: We need volunteers prior to the store’s opening. There is still a lot to do to help us get ready. We also need volunteers to help when the store opens – from people who organize the stock room, to shopper helpers, to Christmas gift wrappers, and more. Come by yourself, with your family, or your team. Come make a difference while having a wonderful time helping children.
Perhaps in some settings “Thanksgiving” is more of a sentiment rather than a reality, a routine, a ritual, or a holiday role rather than the deep affection of the heart. If that is true somewhere in the world, it certainly wasn’t true here on Thanksgiving day last week. More than 6,000 volunteers arrived early in downtown Arlington Sunday. They could have been at home preparing the annual meal, getting ready for the family to come, or enjoying well-deserved rest, but they weren’t.
When these volunteers arrived at Mission Arlington® (some of them very early), there was an excitement & enthusiasm about being there to help other people. Though the line wasn’t very long, there was still a bit of waiting for volunteers to do – whether waiting for their assignment out front or their Thanksgiving food around the back – yet a “can do” spirit permeated the atmosphere. Smiles and laughter were evident everywhere. People enjoy giving back.
We have been filled with gratitude throughout this Thanksgiving season, because of the generous support of this community for people in need. You brought more than 5,200 turkeys which were delivered on Thanksgiving morning, and a bunch of other Thanksgiving food too. Then, you came out on Thanksgiving day to deliver that food to 26,095 people altogether – about 6,033 families. As you came back through, time and time again, we heard from you how much the food meant to those who received it, but also how much it meant to you to be on the delivery team.
For those of you who weren’t able to deliver on Thanksgiving morning, but gave to make those deliveries possible, we say “Thank you.” To those who prayed early and throughout the day, we say “Thank you.” Together with this amazing community we form a huge team of people from a variety of perspectives and backgrounds who all came together with one heart to be a part of providing for people in need. It was an extraordinary experience. Our prayer has been that the people who gave and the people who received would see God in the process and raise their voice to Him in genuine Thanksgiving for his provision.
As we move through this season towards the next, would you hear from us one more time how truly thankful we are for you.
We are getting ready for Thanksgiving at Mission Arlington® We invite you to watch this 2+ minute video produced by our friends at the City of Arlington to hear Executive Director Tillie Burgin share her heart about this season. You will see for yourself the “hustle and bustle” of activity created when a generous community gives itself to make things better for other people.
We are so grateful for each of you. Thank you so much for your support. We hope you enjoy the video.
It’s Thanksgiving time at Mission Arlington®, and we are so excited.
To enjoy the Spirit of a Mission Arlington Thanksgiving, take a few minutes to watch the 2 minute 55 second video above. You’ll see why Thanksgiving is on our mind! We are grateful for you!
- The phones are ringing nonstop, and our “front room,” is full of people signing up to receive food for their families on Thanksgiving morning.
- Our drop-off area is lined up with cars bringing all kinds of donations, including Thanksgiving food.
- We are receiving notices from individuals & teams across our community who are hosting food drives on behalf of the people we serve, and
- people and teams are signing up every day to serve with us on Thanksgiving Day.
We are humbled and honored by all the ways our community provides support to people in a moment of need. It’s no wonder that Thanksgiving is on our mind! Last year, 6,000 volunteers delivered food to 6,000 families in our community – all on Thanksgiving morning. God is on the move once again, putting it all together in such a beautiful and extraordinary way. Thank you so much. It’s clear that Thanksgiving is on your mind too.
Here are some ways you can help.
- You can provide turkeys and Thanksgiving food – (hams, stuffing mix, vegetables, canned fruit, canned sweet potatoes, canned pie filling, cranberry sauce, box/mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, beans/rice, tuna, peanut butter, rolls, and/or pie crust);
- Help us get ready for Thanksgiving Day: You, your family, friends, and/or team can volunteer before Thanksgiving Day. We are here from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Come on down to lend a hand.
- Serve on Thanksgiving Day: You can join with us on Thanksgiving Day, starting at 8:00 a.m. Join the huge team of volunteers who will deliver food to families in need on that morning.
When you come to help, you will discover that you won’t be able to get Thanksgiving off of your mind for some time. It truly is more blessed to give than to receive, and you will be so blessed for some time to come. Thank you for all you do to make this day possible. We are grateful for you, and thankful to God.
The Fall Festival started small years ago, and it was held in multiple locations across our community by various Bible study teams from Mission Arlington®. A few years back, we consolidated the groups into one large experience for all of our teams, and also for the community. Putting our resources together like this created one giant festival which has been blessing people for some time. It is one of our favorite events of the year.
There is something so pure about making a difference in the life of a child. There is something beautiful too when you see families playing together on an open lawn, laughing, holding hands, and enjoying the fun. The weather wasn’t frightful, but it was a little chilly as the day began. Still, more than two thousand (2,307) children – with their families – came out to the Festival this past Saturday. All in all, it was a great day for an outdoor family event like this one.
Hundreds of volunteers from various groups came out to help for the day. Some drove tractors propelling the hay ride along. Others painted faces, worked carnival games, and handed out prizes to happy, enthusiastic children. Many of the kids were given rides by their Mission Arlington® Bible study leaders, and transported on donated vehicles by volunteer drivers. All were so happy to be there. Others stood for hours outside busy & quite creative bouncy houses – making sure the kids were having fun while simultaneously keeping them safe. Volunteers told us again and again that they were more blessed to serve than than the children were to receive. All in all, it was an extraordinarily beautiful day.
We want you to know how grateful we are for all of your strong support. We were able to love the children in this way, because you continue to pray, provide support, and to give. We hope you know that your tangible investment here is touching the lives of children all across our community.
Truly, we keep falling in love with this amazing festival – again and again.
We are so grateful for you.
Please enjoy this 3:19 video of our 2016 Fall Festival
Mission Arlington’s Fun & Free Fall Festival for Families
- When?: Saturday, October 28th, 2017;
- What time?: 12:00 – 4:00 pm.
- What is it? This is a family-friendly festival, designed as a fun afternoon with your children and grandchildren. Everyone is welcome!
- What will be there? Children receive a free lunch, and a bag of candy. Bouncy houses, hay rides, a huge carnival with prizes, and free food, plus lots of caring adults in a safe venue;
- Who is it for? Children and families from the community. Children can come dressed in costume (no scary ones please), or they can just come as they are. That’s up to you. No pressure.
- How much does it cost? It’s free! All of it.
- Where? The Fall Festival happens at 1514 Cherry Ln. in Arlington. Click here for the location.
You Can help us with this Festival
- We need candy – Please bring individually wrapped bags of candy to Mission Arlington’s offices on or before October 28th.
- We need volunteers – Individuals or teams of people can volunteer to help with this event. The actual event happens from noon to 4, but we will need volunteers to help us before (for setup) and after (for cleanup). You and/or your team can stay for as long or as short of a time that works best for you. If you can come for an hour, great! If you can come for all day, great! If you would like to volunteer, call Heather at 817-277-6629.
For the past few weeks, Mission Arlington® has been playing baseball again. We love the Fall, and so do the children who come out to learn the art, skill, hard work, and great fun of the baseball experience.
Bible study leaders scour the community, picking up children and taking them to Hunter’s Field. The elementary-aged young people meet our volunteer coaches there, led by former AISD Superintendent and head coach Jerry McCullough.
The students practice their skills by throwing and catching the ball for a while, running bases, catching fly balls hit by the coaches, then playing a few games against each other.
Each week, the children get to experience a devotional thought from the Bible, led by Jerry or one of his coaches. There are always many smiles and a lot of laughter all around.
This event continues through the next couple of Saturdays, then picks up again in the Spring.
Every ministry of Mission Arlington® is free of charge.
We are pleased to let you know that Mission Arlington® is participating once again in the annual “Day of Giving” for North Texas.
When you give through Mission Arlington®
Your financial support through Mission Arlington® already has added value, because our administrative overhead is at a low 2.7 percent. This means that more than 97 cents of each dollar you give ministers directly to people in need.
More than 500 people a day come through our place six days a week needing a little help to get by. We are honored to work alongside you to share God’s love and to help people in a moment of need.
The North Texas Giving Day
On Thursday, September 14th, from 6:00 a.m. to midnight, your gift to us through the North Texas Giving Day LINK has added value. The Communities Foundation of Texas enhances, on a pro-rated basis, each donation made on this day. This is not a dollar for dollar match, but we do receive a significant bonus for contributions to us given on this day. In 2016, the total contributions for the day equaled more than $65,000.
New: You can schedule your gifts
For the first time, donors can schedule their gifts. Scheduled giving opens September 7th at 8:00 a.m. and stays open through September 13th at midnight. This feature allows a donor who might otherwise be out of pocket on the Giving Day to contribute ahead of time.
We are grateful for your support
We are grateful for the privilege of serving our Lord in this community of faithful, generous, and compassionate people. We value the way you walk alongside of us each and every day. Thank you for your prayers and your support as we come to and through another Giving Day event.