We are here 7-days-a-week to receive what you provide so that others can get the help they need, whether that is school clothes for the kids, a bed to sleep on instead of the floor, or Christmas gifts under the tree. We refer to ourselves from time to time as “twice-blessed” people. We are blessed when you give, and we are blessed when we give it to someone in need. We want you to know that “we never charge” for any service we provide, nor do we sell what you freely give. “When you give it, we give it away” is an oft-played refrain. We are so grateful every day for the privilege we have of serving alongside each of you.
When can I drop off my donations?
We work diligently to be available when it works best for your schedule. We receive your donations at our offices every day of the week. Here are the hours:
- Monday through Saturday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm;
- Sunday between noon and 7:00 p.m. If you’re not able to bring the items to us, learn how to schedule a pickup.
If your schedule won’t permit, or if you just need help with the donation of heavy furniture and appliances, give us a call. Schedule a pickup with us, and we’ll make an appointment with you to retrieve your gift from your home or business, then bring it back to the Mission to be given away.
What does Mission Arlington® accept?
This is a common question, and it is a good one. We all know that what might not be useful to us anymore could be someone else’s treasure. Essentially, our rule of thumb is guided by the question “Can it be given to someone else?” If you have something that you know will be a blessing to a family in need, with very limited exceptions, we will accept it. If you aren’t sure, bring it anyway. We love and appreciate your sensitivity.
What kinds of Items would be helpful?
We’ve discovered that almost anything you give will be a blessing to someone. The list below is not intended to be exhaustive, but as a general guideline to the kind of gifts we receive through the year. We are often asked by donors what would be most useful, so we provide these suggestions below as a place to begin. Please don’t hesitate to contact us, if you have questions or suggestions for improvement.
- Christmas Gifts: Our Christmas store began more 3 decades ago when we realized that people were having to make a difficult choice between taking care of their bills, or having something under the tree for the children on Christmas day. We wanted to help, so that they could do both. We collect new and/or nearly new toys, bikes, ornaments, artificial trees, wrapping paper and so much more all year round. For a more complete list of suggestions as to what you might donate, click here. We receive your Christmas gifts year-round. Thank you.
- Clothing: Many of the working families that come to Mission Arlington are barely getting by. The clothing you donate helps children feel more like other children at school, allows adults to dress appropriately at job interviews and provides warmth to all in the winter with coats. We sort the clothes by seasons and make them available to families of all shapes and sizes, free of charge.
- Dental and Medical Supplies: From tooth brushes to dental chairs, from aspirin to antibiotics, all of it goes to help our dentists and doctors to serve families in need. Learn more about our Health Care Ministries.
- Food: From thanksgiving turkeys to breakfast cereals, special events to the daily need, we’ve separated out food into its own section. You can learn more when you click this link.
- Furniture and Appliances: It may be difficult to believe, but here in the Metroplex, there are children sleeping on the floor, because there isn’t enough money for the family to purchase a bed. Couches, mattresses, dressers and refrigerators can make an immediate positive impact for families in our communities. If you have items you would like to donate, but don’t have a way to get them to us, learn how to schedule a pickup.
- Household Items: Blenders, vacuum cleaners, computers, books and more may just be extra accessories in your home, but they can be a necessity in the homes of families just trying to get by. Things we may take for granted, when given, can be a beautiful encouragement to a family in need. For a more complete listing of the kinds we give away, click here.
- School Supplies: Starting school with the basic essentials such as paper, pencils, rulers and more is important to the success of students. To help the youth of our community receive a head start, you can drop off needed supplies any time throughout the year. In 2016, as we have for the last several years, because of your generosity, we were able to provide school supplies to more than 9,000 students.
You can give online
We know that life is full and hectic for so many people. What if you want to help, but just don’t have time to run by the store to pickup a Christmas gift, or school supplies, or something else you want to provide for the people. One way people help when they aren’t able to “get it all done” is to provide a designated gift through our website.
You can target your gift specifically to a variety of areas: school supplies, food, medical and dental clinics, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and more. We will take your gift and apply it directly to the specific ministry you choose, so that it gets to people in need.
The unseen, but lasting impact of a physical gift
If you have ever been to an event of some kind where you weren’t dressed appropriately for the occasion, or if you were a student at some point who didn’t have what the others had and took for granted, or if perhaps you remember a time when your family Christmas wasn’t much, if anything at all, because a parent had lost a job, then you will begin to understand what the donation of these “things” listed above mean to so many people in our.
It is amazing to discover that a donation of school clothes for a child, or a couch for a family, might not just provide physical support, but genuine encouragement and real hope, a kind of light at the end of someone’s tunnel. We want you to know how grateful we are for your constant encouragement of us when you drop by with your gifts. Thank you so much.