Rainbow Express Returns
Rainbow Express® is here again, starting this week. We love this time of year. If you aren’t familiar, Rainbow Express® is Mission Arlington’s version of a “Backyard Bible club.” Take a look at the short video above (3:38) to get a good overview of Rainbow Express over Spring Break of last year.
Four days each week in the Spring, and through the Summer, student groups come to Arlington to share God’s love with children all across our community. Delicious, filling snacks, creative crafts, outdoor games, engaging & meaningful music, plus stories from the Bible, all make up the beautiful experiences of Rainbow Express.®
Children love and look forward to Rainbow Express.® Last year, more than 17 thousand (17,147) children participated. One hundred sixteen (116) student groups from 11 states and 38 Texas cities led these four-day events in 271 locations across our community. The children had so much fun!
The spiritual impact of Rainbow Express® is significant. Last year, 455 children opened their hearts to the Lord, starting their brand-new journey of faith.
Hundreds of student groups have already signed up to be in Arlington during our Spring Break, and throughout the month of March. We are excited, and we are eager to see all that the Lord will do in these days. Would you pray with us for Rainbow Express?®
We will keep you in touch with the details as the weeks unfold.
Thank you so much!
Health Clinics Excel in 2022
Mission Arlington’s health clinics have been hard at work through 2022, caring for record numbers of people. Each of these ministries for people’s physical, mental, and emotional health, is provided free of charge. Here is our report.
Twenty-five (25) volunteer medical doctors from eight (8) different medical disciplines (orthopedics, plastic surgery, physical therapy, etc.) treated 3,681 patients this year for a total of 11,156 office visits. One beautiful ministry accomplishment this year was in the field of audiology.
In partnership with several groups, the clinic was able to provide hearing aids and other hearing devices to a number of people – all free of charge.
Thirty-two (32) dentists, hygienists, and a host of other dental volunteers treated 1,313 patients in 2022. These patients were treated at our clinic 3,378 times over the year. The clinic provided over $1 million of free dental care for all ages.
Each August, the dental clinic team partners with the Texas Rangers and United Concordia to provide free dental care for youth, one of the most underserved populations in the nation. In 2022, seventy (70) people received dentures.
Multiple volunteer therapists donate their time to provide free counseling for people in need. Hundreds of people received therapeutic services through the clinic in 2022.
We are grateful for all of the medical volunteers, individuals and teams who came together last year to provide such good care for people. We are looking forward to another banner year in 2023.
An Amazing Day
A Day to Serve
This past Monday was a day set aside to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a national holiday. Instead of taking the day off, so many people made it a “day of service,” and they chose Mission Arlington to give of their time and talents. It was such an amazing day. 750 people, from all walks of life, made their way here – to make a difference in people’s lives.
Mission Arlington is “kid friendly.” We believe that children can make a difference too, and it is so much fun to watch families serving together. We have plenty of tasks that adults and children can do together. Many moms, dads, and children were here to serve this past Monday.
Student teams, young and old, from public/private schools, and/or colleges & universities – all came to make a difference here on this special day. We love it a part of a student’s education is service to the community. We also value so much the energy and sweet spirits that these young people bring to the work. Too, we appreciate teachers and administrators who will give their time on a day when they are out of school to invest in their students. We get to watch it all, unfolding right in front of us, and we are truly blessed for the experience.
About 150 athletes, along with coaches, and administrators, from the XFL came to serve here at Mission Arlington®this past Monday. The DC Defenders, and the Arlington Renegades joined forces here to help people in need. What an amazing, hard-working, sweet-spirited group of people – here making a difference.
For many years, the Mission Arlington family has had the privilege of supporting the Arlington MLK Celebration committee, as they host hundreds of volunteers who subsequently serve in a variety of locations across our community. The MLK team does the work, in coordination with many friends & partners, over a period of several days to support the important work of our community. We simply get to be a small part of what they do, and we are so blessed by the privilege.
Thank you to each and every one of you for serving with us this past Monday, and for making a difference here.
MLK, Jr. Day of Volunteering
A Great Day to Serve
This coming Monday, January 16th, is a beautiful day to get out and volunteer, while at the same time, honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Instead of taking a “Day Off,” many individuals, families, student groups, church groups, and teams of all kinds are using this important day to make a difference in our community.
What are the Service Times?
Mission Arlington® will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on this special holiday. Guess what? You don’t need an appointment to come. Just show up, and we’ll have the work ready for you to do. Some teams will want to start early. Others will want to come in later in the day. Whatever time/time frame works best for you is perfect for us. Whether you stay for an hour, a few hours, or all day, your life can make a difference. Come by yourself. Bring your friends and family. Bring your team. You can come make a difference with us!
We are “Kid-Friendly.”
By the way, we are very “kid-friendly” at Mission Arlington®. We love it when you can bring your children with you. There will be plenty of activities that children of all ages can accomplish. We love supporting you as you bring the whole family to serve. What a great way to build lasting bonds, and to teach your children that they can make a difference too.
What will Volunteers be doing?
We’re glad you asked. Anything & everything you do while at Mission Arlington® will tangibly impact the life of someone in the midst of a difficult moment. The need is great, and although it is impossible to know up-front exactly what you will be doing – whether sorting clothes, placing food on shelves, organizing household items & supplies, or loading a bed onto a truck, (or any number of other activities), you can be sure that you won’t be bored, and that you will have a lot of fun too. It truly is a blessing to give of yourself to serve others. You don’t need to bring anything with you except yourself (we’ll provide any & all tools you may need for any job).
If you are bringing a group larger than 10, please call us at 817-277-6620 to let us know that you will be here.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
We are so grateful for the privilege of walking this journey with you. We love it when you come, and we are so inspired by your Spirit, and by the generous way you give of your time and efforts to make a difference here. It is going to be a great day.
A Look Back: 2022 in Review
We want to express our continuing gratitude to this beautiful community for your constant generosity. We are grateful to the Lord for all He has done here, and we are grateful for you. Although there isn’t any way to describe everything that happened in 2022, we thought a look back might be fun. Here are a few of the events in reverse order.
- Christmas Season – 6,480 families (26,481 children) received Christmas gifts.
- Thanksgiving Day – 6,293 families (26,181 people) received a Thanksgiving meal.
- Fall Festival – 1,898 children (with their families) enjoyed bouncy houses, hayrides, carnival games, and more.
- School Supplies – 9,000 children received the supplies they needed to start school.
- Rainbow Express – 16,571 children attended. Student groups came to help from 11 states and 37 Texas cities.
- 36th Birthday – Tillie Burgin throws out the 1st pitch at the Tx Rangers Baseball Game.
- Summer Camps – 796 children & youth attend one of our 7 summer camps.
- Fun Days – in May and September. Hundreds of children each week attend our Saturday Fun Days.
- Hearing Clinic – 40 patients were fitted with 76 hearing devices.
- Easter Egg Hunt – 3,877 children attend our giant Easter Egg Hunt.
Ongoing Daily Ministry
In addition to these events, Mission Arlington® hosts weekly Bible studies in over 360 locations, houses daily health ministries with medical, dental, and counseling, and sees hundreds of people coming through our front doors each day for food, clothing, household items, furniture, and/or emergency financial assistance.
All Glory to God
We give God all the Glory for what He has done in this place through 2022. We are also so thankful for each of you who give your resources, and/or your time to make a difference in the lives of people in need. Thank you!
We look forward to 2023. Join us, won’t you?
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Everywhere you go at Mission Arlington®, it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Our free Christmas Store will be opening soon, and our place is “filled with anticipation and excitement.” The Christmas Store is a pretty special place and time at Christmas time at Mission Arlington®.
“What is it?”
“Where parents shop to receive free gifts for their children!” The Christmas Season is a time for celebrating our Lord, Jesus Christ, showing love to those around us, and embracing a spirit of giving. In addition to receiving toys for their children, every adult who comes through the Christmas Store will hear the beautiful story of Christ’s birth, shared from the Scriptures and narrated by creative & faithful storytellers. The Store is located here.
“When is it open?”
The Store will open daily – from December 10th through December 22nd, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm (excluding Sundays). It will also be open on Wednesday, December 23rd, from 10:00 a.m. to Noon.
How you can help!
- PROVIDE CHRISTMAS GIFTS– for children up to age 17. Please bring unwrapped gifts to Mission Arlington®. We receive gifts through Christmas Eve. Wrapping paper & tape helps too. For gift ideas, please, see our lists below:
- List of Suggested Toys -This is a list of suggested toys (and other Christmas gifts) provided by Mission Arlington®
- Amazon Wish List – Select from this listing of Christmas toys & gifts, and those gifts will be shipped directly to Mission Arlington®.
- VOLUNTEER IN THE CHRISTMAS STORE– Volunteers are needed anytime the store is open to receive & organize Christmas gifts & to stock the store, help parents find gifts in the store that they want for their children, gift-wrappers, and so much more. Come on down anytime the store is open, and we will get you to work. If you want to bring a group, call ahead at 817-277-6620, and we’ll get your team on the schedule.[spacer size=”10″]
- VOLUNTEER BEFORE OPENING DAY – Volunteers are needed anytime between 7 & 7, Monday through Saturday after Thanksgiving to help us get ready for opening day.
For more information, give us a call at 817-277-6620.
A Season for Thanksgiving
If it is true that Thanksgiving can truly reveal the heart of a person, perhaps it is also true that it can reveal the heart of a community. From our vantage point, we serve in one of the most beautiful communities in the country. It’s one thing to be thankful for what we have. It’s quite another thing to use what we have to help someone else. Yet, that is what this community does month after month, year after year, and especially in the Thanksgiving season.
If predictions hold, given the need in our own community, then Mission Arlington® will provide Thanksgiving food to more than 25,000 people on Thanksgiving Day. Yet, Mission Arlington® can only provide what the community first gives. We simply pass along the generosity to people who need it the most. We have watched in amazement as car after car has dropped by our place with arm loads of turkeys, and a trunk full of Thanksgiving food. It isn’t just that you buy it and bring it here, but it is also that you do it with such energy, and joy. The smiles and hugs we experience here day to day are truly blessings that last beyond this season. We are grateful for you.
On Thanksgiving morning, starting at 8:00 a.m., volunteers will arrive, ready to serve. They will load turkeys, boxes of Thanksgiving food, and/or hot meals into their cars to make personal deliveries to people in need. The encouragement that will happen across our community on Thanksgiving Day will be difficult to measure, but it will be real, nevertheless. People will be encouraged that someone cared enough to give their time to provide for their needs. People who serve will make a bigger difference in people’s lives than any can know. What a true blessing it will be.
Please join us the day before Thanksgiving to help us get ready (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.), or on Thanksgiving morning, beginning at 8:00 a.m. We’ll give you the name and addresses of a family or two, load food into your vehicle, and then you can make the deliveries of food to people’s homes. There is something about serving that strengthens us, encourages and blesses us. The Mission Arlington family is so grateful that we get to do this with you!
Truly, this is a “season for Thanksgiving.”
Home for the Holidays
The Holiday Season is here!
The Holiday Season is upon us, as we turn the corner into October. We’ve listed below some events you can participate with in various ways.
- On Saturday, October 29th, from noon to 4, we host an annual Fall Festival with about 2,500 kids in attendance. We have bouncy houses, hay rides, free food, and outdoor carnival games. Volunteers are needed in every arena – food servers, carnival game hosts, bouncy house attendants, etc. This event happens away from our downtown campus at 1516 W. Pioneer Pkwy (about 3 miles away);
- Month of November – We put together Food for Thanksgiving Day deliveries all year long, but the preparation truly ramps up in November. Anytime during the month of November, we are picking up from food supply drives, organizing & sorting that food, and generally getting ready for Thanksgiving morning;
- Thanksgiving Day Deliveries – Starting at 8:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning, we need volunteers to help us deliver turkeys and Thanksgiving food to families in the Arlington/Grand Prairie area. The entire process is completed by noon;
- Month of December – We need volunteers to assist us in getting ready for the opening of our free Christmas Store;
- Free Christmas Store – Opens Saturday, December 10th and stays open through December 22nd, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day, excluding Sundays, when the store is closed. The Store opens one final time from 10 to noon on December 23rd. Volunteers are needed to receive, organize, and stock Christmas gifts, help with childcare, assist moms & dads to find the right gifts for their children, and to wrap gifts;
- Christmas Eve Morning – The free Christmas Store will be closed on Christmas Eve, but this is a good day to volunteer, generally anywhere from 7:00 a.m. until a little after noon. The Mission is bustling on Christmas Eve, taking care of the normal and the Christmas Needs of the people we serve.
We are so grateful for your constant support.
NTX Giving Day 2022
North Texas Giving Day 2022
The annual North Texas “Giving Day” happens again on September 22nd, from 6:00 a.m. until midnight. Sponsored by the Communities Foundation of Texas, this Giving Day provides an opportunity for the community to give a little extra to the more than 3,000 non-profit organizations participating in this beautiful event. Click one of the links to the right to give directly to Mission Arlington®. GIVE HERE / OR HERE
The Need is Great
Like many non-Profits, Mission Arlington® is seeing an increase in need across the board. Higher grocery and fuel prices have made it difficult for ordinary working families to make it on a daily basis. When life happens, or a crisis of some kind occurs, families need just a little extra help to get by. We are so grateful to be here, not just to hand out supplies, but to treat people with the dignity and respect they deserve, and to share God’s love in whatever way we can.
Low Administrative Costs
- Our administrative overhead is 1.47 percent, meaning that a little more than 98.5 percent of every dollar you give goes directly to people in need;
- There is “no charge” for any service we provide’
- We do not sell or resell any gifts that you provide. Your gifts go directly to meet people’s needs;
- Every person is treated with dignity and respect.
We are grateful for your support!
We love what we get to do here every day. Very simply, we receive what you provide, and we give it out to people in need. We are so blessed to serve in the beautiful and generous community. Thank you so much for your constant support.
9,000+ received school supplies
Over 9,000 students received the supplies they needed to start school this Fall. Mission Arlington® was able to provide those supplies to AISD students, because our community first provided them to us. Your generosity constantly amazes us.
Aaron Perales, AISD’s “Director of Community Engagement, Equity, and Access,” noted that the gift of school supplies puts those supplies “in the hands of kids who need it the most.”
“Some kids,” Perales continues, “don’t have what they need to feel confident about starting the school year.” Perales expressed gratitude for the many different “community groups which support our district” by providing school supplies to students.
The Mission Arlington® family will continue to give out supplies as they are needed through the school year. We realize that some families may need as much help through the year, as they did when they got started. It also takes a full year to get prepared to hand out supplies every Fall. If you would like to contribute to this ongoing effort, click here to learn more.
We are grateful for your constant support!