Resume for Tillie Burgin
Address: 210 W. South Street, Arlington, TX 76010
Husband: Robert D. Burgin
Children: Jim and Rick Burgin
Family: 5 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren
Phone: (817) 277-6620
- 1998. Dallas Baptist University. Honorary Doctorate of Humanities.
- 1983. Texas Christian University. Administrator’s Certificate.
- 1972. Texas Christian University. Supervision Certificate.
- 1971. Texas Christian University. Special Education Certificate.
- 1963. North Texas State University. M. A.
- 1958. North Texas State University. B. A.
- 1954. Arlington High School. High School.
1986 to Present:
Executive Director, Mission Arlington/Mission Metroplex, Arlington, TX
- Began Apartment Ministry Churches with the goal of meeting the needs of all people through Bible studies, medical and dental service, child and adult day care, clothing, food, furniture, transportation, counseling, etc.
Director of Employee Relations, Arlington Independent School District
- Liaison between administration and teacher personnel
- Superintendent Advisory Committee
- Counseling services
- Began Wellness Program
Director of Personnel (AISD)
- Interview and assign professional personnel for instruction
- Determine number of professional personnel needed
- Plan and implement recruitment schedule for possible candidates on college campuses
- Interview, screen and select paraprofessionals
- Recruit and approve substitute teachers
- Maintain current substitute list for building principals
- Maintain current personnel records
- Coordinator of student teachers
Elementary Consultant (AISD)
- Coordinate special education services which involve counseling with teachers, parents, students and support staff
- Coordinate regular curriculum, supervise teacher education and staff development, prepare budget for related programs
- Coordinator of English as a Second Language Program
- Admissions coordinator for undocumented residents (K-12)
- Assist in crisis intervention with parents and students
Elementary Classroom Teacher (AISD)
- Frequent public speaking engagements at various church services, school and professional organizations
- Frequent public speaking to Korean military groups, women’s organizations and church services
- Salaried church staff worker in Korean church1976-78: Missionary with the Southern Baptist Foreign Mission Board in Korea
Supervisor of Special Education (AISD)
- Organize parent groups
- Supervise teacher training and staff development
- Supervise procedures for admission, review and dismissal of students to special education programs
Special Education Teacher (AISD)
Missionary with the SBC Foreign Mission Board
- Attended Language School, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
- Elementary Supervisor, Korea Christian Academy (school for missionary children, 1968-1971)
- Freshman English teacher in Presbyterian University
- Tutored Korean women in English
- Coordinator for youth activities for 365 Korean churches
Tutored Children (Elementary and Secondary) in Arlington, TX
Taught High School English in Seoul, Korea
- 2019. On April 24th, 2019, the Arlington-Mansfield Area YMCA honored Tillie with the Bill and Shari Bowie Community Leadership Award. An honor for those who put “Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy Spirit, Mind and Body for all.”
- 2016. On October 26th, 2016 Fort Worth Business Press honored Tillie Burgin as one of the “Great Women of Texas” in 2016. For Texas women who have made “notable accomplishments,” and who “have helped empower others” in their Journey.
- 2016. On June 5th, 2016. Texas Baptists Legacy Award. Presented to Tillie Burgin in recognition of her work in Arlington as an Outstanding Texas Baptist layperson. Presented at the Independence Baptist Church in Brenham, Texas.
- 2016. State of Texas Resolution 16R470 commending Tillie Burgin for her service through Mission Arlington/Mission Metroplex for making a “positive and lasting in Arlington and the wider community,” earning the “deep respect and appreciation of her fellow residents.” Presented to Tillie April 19th, 2016 by Representative Tony Tinderholt, State Representative, District 94.
- 2015. On September 11th, the Arlington Fire Department honored Tillie Burgin by naming their state of the art rescue boat “the Tillie.” Tillie christened the boat with a giant bottle of diet Dr. Pepper on the same day.
- 2014. Art of Giving Award: Fort Worth City Magazine. February 25th, 2014. For women who
have enriched lives and improved livelihoods through their dedication to community,
organizations, and/or a specific philanthropic cause.
- 2013. Tom Landry Award, Dallas Baptist University, awarded April 27, 2013.
- 2012. Anson Jones Award. By the Fort Worth Scottish Rite Foundation. June 2, 2012.
For exemplary service in and with the community.
- 2011. State of Texas Senate Proclamation (no. 312)
- 2011. Arlington Chamber Star Award.
- 2010. “2nd Half Champion.” Wells Fargo.
- 2009. “Community Hero.” Texas Campus Compact.
- 2009. “Pastor of the Day” for the Texas House of Representatives.
- 2009. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. “Sharing the Dream” award for
- 2008. “City of Arlington.” In Recognition and Appreciation for Tillie’s
Continued Outstanding Public Service and Commitment to
Arlington’s Homeless. Presented August 5th, 2008.
- 2007. “Santa U.S.A.” Appreciation to Tillie Burgin and Mission
Metroplex for support of Santa USA’s mission, and for
serving over 36,000 people annually.
- 2006. “Yellow Rose of Texas:” awarded to Tillie Burgin by Rick
Perry, Governor of Texas. December 2006
- 2006. Ebby Rose of Distinction: awarded to Tillie Burgin by Ebby
Halliday, REALTORS and CBS 11. September 2006.
- 2006. Best Volunteer Organization: awarded to Mission
Arlington/Mission Metroplex by the staff of the Fort Worth
- 2006. Mayor of Arlington and the Arlington City Council: August
1st, 2006, “Tillie Burgin Day.”
- 2006. Arlington Police Department: for Mission Arlington/Mission
Metroplex as the APD’s “Business Partner of the Year.”
- 2006. Arlington Ministerial Alliance: for Tillie Burgin as the
“Minister of the Year.” Awarded January 2006.
- 2005. Texas House of Representatives: to Mission
Arlington/Mission Metroplex in recognition of outstanding
and invaluable service to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
By Texas Congressional Representative Joe Barton.
- 2005. City of Arlington. Presented to Mission Arlington/Mission
Metroplex in recognition and grateful appreciation for
heroic services rendered in assisting Arlington’s visitors
seeking shelter from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
December 6th, 2005.
- 2004. Site of Promise. Mission Arlington’s After School Programs:
By the City of Arlington and America’s Promise: the Alliance
for Youth. December 14th, 2004.
- 2004. Community Builder Award. Tillie Burgin: Masonic Grand
Lodge of Texas
- 2004. Chevrolet Trucks and KRLD Radio. Tillie Burgin: Chevrolet
- 2004. April 6th. City of Arlington, TX. Tillie Burgin Day.
- 2004. Baptist Medical-Dental Society. Recognition of exemplary
health care service by a faith based organization
- 2003. House of Representatives, State of Texas. Commendation
for Leadership Role at Mission Arlington/Mission
- 2003. Arlington Independent School District. Lynn Hale
Leadership in Education. To Mission Metroplex as
Organization of the Year.
- 2002. Truett Theological Seminary, Baylor University. Winfred
Moore Award. For lifetime ministry achievement.
- 2002. Tarrant County Medical Society. May Owen Award.
For outstanding contribution of a nonphysician in the field
- 2001. Baptist General Convention of Texas. Mary Hill Davis
- 2000. Governor George W. Bush. Texas Woman’s Hall of Fame.
- 2000. October 5th. City of Arlington, TX. Tillie Burgin Day.
- 1999. Arlington Night Shelter. Heroes of the Homeless.
- 1998. Legacy of Women Award
- 1998. SBC Multihousing Association. Lifetime Achievement.
- 1997. Rotary Foundation. Paul Harris Fellow.
- 1995. SERTOMA. Service to Mankind Award.
- 1994. Daughters of the American Revolution.
Excellence in Community Service Award.
- 1992. Arlington Pacesetters. Distinguished Circle of Success
- 1991. Soroptomist. Women of Distinction.
- 1990. Arlington Citizen Journal. Woman of the Year.